The Good Works Fund Application
The Sydney Gay & Lesbian Business Association Inc. – SGLBA – aims to deliver services to gay and lesbian professionals or business persons in Sydney and NSW. The Association was founded in 1981 as the Gay Business Association. In 1994, to reﬂect its broadening membership base, the Association changed its name to Sydney Gay & Lesbian Business Association Inc. In 1998 the SGLBA adopted new Articles of Association and created a Board of Directors.
Throughout the year, SGLBA hosts a variety of events, all focused on promoting member businesses, networking, education and fundraising for the Good Works Fund. These events include: Dinners, Members only Cocktail parties, New Members Welcome parties, Business Seminars, Joint functions, Breakfast Network Series and more.
SGLBA contributes to our community through its Good Works Program and donates thousands of dollars to community causes each year. Recent recipients have included the Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby, PFLAG, the AIDS Trust of Australia, Sydney Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service, Team Sydney and Twenty 10.
The Good Works Fund assists organisations that seek funding for a particular event, cause or ongoing operational activity. To be considered for funding, please complete the form with as much information as possible.
Application & Timing
Application and TimingFunding is considered across a quarterly period with cut-of dates as follows:
- July 1st – 30th September – Cut-of date to be received by the Board, 1st October
- October 1st – 31st December – Cut- of date to be received by the Board, 1st January
- January 1st – 31st March Cut-of date to be received by the Board, 1st April
- April 1st – 30th June – Cut-of date to be received by the Board, 1 July
Process for receiving funding
Recipients of a SGLBA funding grant, once approved by the Board, must raise an invoice and supply to the Finance Director for payment no later than the last Friday of the month.
Whilst not an exhaustive list, the Board considers applications that ﬁt with the basic parameters for which the fund was set up and may include assisting organisations who seek funding for a particular event, cause or ongoing operational activity. Funding is to ﬁt within the needs of lesbian and gay professionals or business persons/organisation in Sydney and NSW.
Communications & Public Relations
- Recipients are required to attend SGLBA ‘Lemons with a Twist’ and ‘Fruits in Suits’ events at an agreed time to accept the funding and be available for a photo opportunity which will generally be published in the Sydney Star Observer. This should form part of your PR and Communications plan and timeline.
- Recipients of SGLBA funding agree to be showcased in any PR activity developed by SGLBA which generally requires photographs and editorial stories in newsletters and prominent website coverage.
- By submitting this application, your organisation consents to photos being taken published and / or text being used on the SGLBA website and in other SGLBA communications for promotional purposes. Such activity will generally be outlined in the agreed communications and PR plan.
- SGLBA reserves the right to publish such photographs and use agreed copy in other activity and publications (of a PR nature), (without additional approval) for a period not exceeding 18 months from when first granted.
- At appropriate milestone delivery and at the completion of the project, the successful applicant is to provide SGLBA documentations showing how the funding enabled the applicant to achieve its objectives outlined in its application.