About the SGLBA
Established in 1981 as the Gay Business Association, The Sydney Gay & Lesbian Business Association Inc. (SGLBA) was the first LGBTIQ Business Association in Australia. It evolved from the need for a safe place for LGBTIQ business people to meet like-minded professionals during a time when being LGBTIQ was still a criminal offence in New South Wales.
In 1994, to reflect the increasing diversity of our member base, the name of the organisation was changed. In 1998 the SGLBA adopted Articles of Association and enhanced its professional standing by electing a Board of Directors.
The SGLBA is one of the foundational LGBTIQ organisations in New South Wales, along with the AIDS Council of NSW (ACON), the NSW Gay & Lesbian Rights Lobby (GLRL), the Bobby Goldsmith Foundation (BGF), and the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras (SGLMG) among others.
As at January 2016, the SGLBA had nearly 400 members, ranging from sole traders, entrepreneurs, small to medium business, through to corporations with almost 2000 people subscribed to our database.
What we do
We provide opportunities to learn, network and promote services among members and guests from both the LGBTIQ community and its allies. We do this by delivering our members a diversity of complimentary or subsidised events, services, opportunities, and partnerships – either directly, or by partnering with other organisations.
We facilitate opportunities for members to grow their business beyond the LGBTIQ community and welcome engagement from across the business community. We believe there is one business community – not a ‘straight’ one or an ‘LGBTIQ’ one. Membership is open to professionals of any orientation who support the SGLBA and value the opportunities that membership presents.
Our mission is to provide corporate and individual business opportunities to our members and their guests through regular networking, business, and social events, and the promotion of LGBTIQ professionals in the business community.
How we do this
We do this directly, or by partnering with organisations that recognise the benefit of aligning themselves with the SGLBA. We:
- Organise regular networking business events and networking activities for our members;
- Create positive environments in which members can present and pitch their products, services and talents to other professionals;
- Provide forums for high profile speakers to address SGLBA on issues of interest to our members;
- Uphold a professional environment that is devoted to business and community support for LGBTIQ members;
- Support existing successful businesses and provide support to new businesses that are trying to launch or grow.
Go to events to learn more about the variety of events we offer. We are confident you will find one that meets your needs.
The Purposes of the Association shall be to:
- Promote the profile of the Association and it’s Members with both the LGBTIQ community and the wider business community;
- Promote, manage and conduct activities which facilitate networking and business opportunities for and between Members;
- Create opportunities to present products and services to the LGBTIQ community in a postivie environment;
- Provide a forum for speakers to address the Association on issues of interest to its members;
- Use and promote the Intellectual Property;
- Undertake other actions or activities necessary, incidental or conducive to advance these Purposes; and
- Have regard to the public interest in its operations.
Not for profit
The SGLBA is a not-for-profit organisation. It is, and always has been, staffed entirely by volunteers. It is very much ‘of the community, for the community, by the community.’
We are always interested in speaking with people who want to volunteer their time and skills. Volunteering is a rewarding way to meet new people and give back to the community. Contact us at [email protected] if you would like to enquire about volunteering.