Are you looking for a chance to give back to the community? We have three specific opportunities for members of the SGLBA.
The Board of the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Business Association Inc (SGLBA), in line with clause 23 of the constitution has established a number of committees to assist it in exercising its duties.
Expressions of interest (EOI) are being sought from individual members of the SGLBA to serve on the following Committees:
- the Corporate Governance Committee (1 Individual Member)
- the Life Membership Committee (2 Life Members); and
- the Name Change Committee (2 Individual Members).
Corporate Governance Committee
The Corporate Governance Committee was established by the Board in 2018 and the purpose of the Corporate Governance Committee is to:
- oversee and review the corporate governance, policy, legal, compliance and regulatory issues may be required to be dealt with by the SGLBA Board from time to time;
- research issues that may affect the operations, financial security or strategic direction of the SGLBA and make recommendations to the Board on policy direction in such cases; and
- to review, and make recommendations to the Board, on the management of conflicts of interests disclosed by Directors, contractors, and volunteers.
The Board is seeking to appoint an Individual member to the Committee for a two-year term. Interested members with knowledge of compliance/corporate governance issues would be a definite asset for the Corporate Governance Committee.
Life Membership Committee
The Life Membership Committee was established by the SGLBA Board in February 2020, following a resolution at the SGLBA AGM in October 2019. The purpose of the Life Membership Committee is to:
- develop criteria for Life Membership of the SGLBA;
- develop criteria for Service Awards for members of the SGLBA;
- draft and revise appropriate By-Laws and procedures for approval by the Board in relation to the criteria for Life Membership and Service Awards;
- evaluate, and make recommendations on, applications received for Life Membership and Service Awards by members of the SGLBA.
The Committee is chaired by the President of the SGLBA and the Board is seeking to appoint two Life Members to the Committee.
Name Change Committee
The Name Change Committee was established by the SGLBA Board in February 2020 to assist the Board in consulting members about a possible name change, following a resolution at the SGLBA AGM in October 2019. The purpose of the Name Change Committee is to:
- develop a consultation process for seeking feedback from SGLBA members and other interested stakeholders on changing the name of the SGLBA;
- oversee consultation with SGLBA members and other interested stakeholders on this issue;
- report its findings to the SGLBA to the Board and the SGLBA membership at the SGLBA 2020 AGM.
The Name Change Committee is chaired by the Corporate Governance Director SGLBA and the Board is seeking to appoint two Individual Members to the Committee to help steer this important work.
Do you have questions? Contact Chris for more details and to express your interest. Be sure to contact Chris no later than Sunday 24th of May.
Meetings of the Committees will commence in June 2020. Members of the Committees are expected to have the capacity to devote the required time and attention to prepare for and attend Committee meetings. There will also be some time commitment between meetings to contribute to the work of the Committees.
If you are interested in participating in this important (but not necessarily glamorous) work of the SGLBA, please contact me with your expression of interest. Please be sure to highlight any skills or experiences you have (community-based, business or otherwise) that you think you can bring to the relevant Committee.
The Board will consider the appointments at its June 2020 Meeting, so expressions of interest should reach me by 24 May 2020.