Portfolio: Finance Board Associate (Assistant treasurer)
Date last reviewed: July 2017
Overview of Portfolio
Objective of this role is to be in charge of the bookkeeping and record keeping of events and financial statistics. It also entails assisting Treasurer in financial report generation, analysis and reconciliation. Active participation in the financial operations will also be needed as part of the training to be 2IC to the treasurer.
About the role
Like all SGLBA positions, this is a volunteer role, and requires a commitment of a 2 – 4 hours per week. This is a great opportunity to get involved with the community, meet people, and make a difference.
We are seeking dedicated individuals who can commit to at least 12 months with the team.
- Strong attention to detail
- Accounting/Finance background is essential with experience in MYOB/Xero and excel
- Brings both vision and detail to the role either directly, or through the recognition of the combined talents of board associates;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Works in a proactive, engaged, consultative manner at all times;
- Works successfully in both team, and independent environments;
- Works within interest of SGLBA members, partners and sponsors at all times.
- Highly efficient, organised, and delivers to deadline;
- Takes responsibility for development and delivery of proposals with high engagement of all stakeholders
Key job objectives
(see ‘Responsibilities’ for detailed summary);
- Record keeping
- Events and Financial statistics
- Assist in BAU finance of SGLBA
- Training to be 2IC to the treasurer
Why you’ll love this role
This is a great opportunity to get involved with a well-respected LGBTI organisation that helps its members promote their business, grow their networks, and gain knowledge.
Our members are SME’s, Entrepreneurs, and Corporates. It doesn’t matter if you yourself are LGBTI.
This is a great opportunity for finance trained individuals to learn about the operations of a Non For Profit Organisation. Differences in the cost/financial structure will give a interesting perspective into accounting and finance operations for NFPOs as compared to Corporates. The experience is a great addition to your finance experience.
We facilitate a variety of events, ranging from monthly social networking events for 200 people, to smaller professional / business events for between 20 – 80 people. SGLBA events are for everyone – LGBTI and allies alike. We have established relationships with excellent venues.
TASK: Bookkeeping – monthly
Use Xero to record all SGLBA financial transactions’
Data extraction of membership reconciliation;
TIMELINE: 8 hours per month
TASK: Finance Data Maintenance
Maintenance of Events Statistics
Maintenance of Historical Financial Statistics
TIMELINE: 1 hour per month
TASK: Financial Reporting
Produce monthly financial reports (Balance Sheet, P&L from Xero – checked and validated by treasurer
TIMELINE: 2 hours per month
TASK: General duties
Assist in physical banking of cash
Proof-reading of financial reports and annual reports
TIMELINE: 1 hour per month
The SGLBA, established in 1981, is a Not-For-Profit organisation run by volunteers with nearly 400 members. It facilitates opportunities for members and guests from the LGBTI and Allies communities to promote their business, grow their network, and gain knowledge.
We do this by delivering our members a diversity of complimentary or subsidised events, services, opportunities, and partnerships – either directly, or by partnering with other organisations.
Please send an application addressing the above criteria to our Finance Director via the button below. Please include a link to your Linkedin public profile.
Applications close Friday 11 August. Only successful applicants will be contacted.