The SGLBA is proud to be a Community Partner with ACON for the Honour Awards 2016.
The following is a press release from ACON dated 26th September, 2016.
Some of the LGBTI* community’s favourite folk will be attending this year’s Honour Awards to recognise outstanding achievements within or contributions to NSW’s LGBTI community.
Foxtel movie show presenter Andrew Mercado will MC the event and DJ legend Richard Weiss will provide his signature blend of contemporary and classic tunes. Also attending will be musical theatre star Trevor Ashley, comedian and TV personality Gretel Killeen, writer and commentator Benjamin Law, SBS TV newsreader Ricardo Gonsalves, ABC TV reporters Janine Cohen and Monica Shafter and SBS TV reporter Patrick Abboud.
Some of NSW’s leading gay, lesbian and allied politicians – Bruce Notley-Smith, Penny Sharpe, Jenny Leong, Trevor Khan, Alex Greenwich and Don Harwin – will be out in force to receive the ACON President’s Award for service to the LGBTI community. And many community leaders will be attending including high profile marriage equality advocate Tiernan Brady, new Human Rights Commissioners Edward Santow and Alastair McEwin and Australia’s first openly gay Federal lower house member Trent Zimmerman.
Now in their tenth year, the Honour Awards are also a gala fundraising event for LGBTI charity Aurora and for ACON, NSW’s leading HIV prevention, HIV support and LGBTI health organisation. 34 finalists and 350 guests will pack the glamorous Ivy Ballroom in Sydney on Thursday 29 September for the inspirational awards ceremony and fabulously fun cocktail party.
The event’s popular online charity auction will go live on Monday 26 September and for the first time will be accessible to any member of the public. Bidding details are on the Honour Awards website. Some of the standout items at this year’s auction include:
- Luxury accommodation in Thailand, Bali and Port Douglas
- A yachting holiday in the Whitsundays
- Holiday packages in Queensland, the Central Coast and the Blue Mountains
- Limited edition prints of works by Marc Chagall, Salvador Dali, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse and Joan Miro
- Eugene Tan (Aquabumbs) artwork commissioned by SBS to mark Deep Water TV event
- $5K of relationship development services from Beau Brummel Introductions
- $5K of cosmetic injectables from Millk Clinic
- Mardi Gras /Aurora Ball VIP Package
- Seiko Le Grand Sport watch
- Hardtail mountain bike from Aerredorama
- Pearl jewellery from The Stranded Pearl
- Apple devices including an Apple watch and mini iPad
- Fitness Playground membership
- A Reserve tickets to a range of operas and concerts
- Designer furniture and home wares
- 5-star dining and entertainment packages
WHAT: Honour 2016 – Awards Ceremony and Cocktail Party
WHERE: Ivy Ballroom, 330 George St, Sydney
WHEN: Thursday 29 September 2016, 7pm – 11pm
COST: $85 per person (inc. quality wines and beers, delicious canapés)
Community Partners: ACON | Aurora Group | Sydney Gay and Lesbian Business Association | Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras | SX Magazine | Event Partners: Foxtel | Merivale/Ivy | GLYDE Health | CrowdComms | Chase Gallery
*LGBTI = lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex
For more information please contact:
David Alexander, ACON Media and Communications Officer
E: [email protected] T: +61 (02) 9206 2044 M: +61 (0)428 477 042